Monday, April 28, 2008

The Platitude of Choice

I’m not sure I quite understand the love-affair that some people have with choice. A comment on the bottom of a pro-life article I read recently said: “you anti-choice a**holes” as if being against choice is one of the gravest evils one could commit. So...let me get this straight, an anti-choice a**hole is a person who is against the limb-from-limb dismembering of a tiny child sleeping peacefully in its mother’s womb? The way that this comment was dripping with venom would have made one think that the pro-life movement was in favor of the genocide in Darfur.

Now I understand that even in the larger scheme of things, the idea of choice has some limited significance. I like that when I’m on a trip I can choose between McDonald’s and other places because I hate McDonald’s (and so do my kids.) I like that the government gives us the choice of where to send our kids to school and that we can even home school. I’m glad that I had a choice in who I got to marry. But when push comes to shove, I just don’t see choice as being the most beautiful, glorious, wonderful thing ever. When you compare governments taking away choices from its citizens and with governments slaughtering its citizens, one is so much more evil than the other.

When you have a pebble and a diamond sitting right next to each other and someone tells you that you can take only one, it’s actually pretty clear which one is more precious. I mean pebbles can be quite useful. Dirt roads in the country are full of pebbles, girls use pebbles to play hopscotch, I used to have a bunch of pebbles at the bottom of an aquarium for looks. But when push comes to shove, the pebble just isn’t worth that much.

When we have to pick between choice on the one hand and saving a tiny life from being brutally torn away, all of the sudden choice loses its luster. There was another pro-choice camp around only about 150 years ago. They believed that each person should choose for themselves whether or not they wanted to own slaves. “You think slavery is wrong, fine. Don’t own slaves then. But what right does the government have to tell me that I can’t own slaves if I want? It’s my choice.” That was different though. In that case, most African Americans were at least allowed to live. It may not have been much of a life to be a slave but it was at least life. There are over 1 billion aborted Americans who would be happy to have any life at all, even a life of slavery (since Roe v. Wade in 1973). (Click here for counter)

Here are some more facts to consider:
1 out of every 2 deaths in the world is an abortion
More Americans have died from abortion than all 12 American wars combined (64 times more)
589 soldiers died in the first year of the Iraq war. That's how many people die from an abortion every 6 minutes. (Click here for more statistics)

I'm not trying to justify war, especially unnecessary wars, I'm just trying to put things in perspective. It's just that in the 60's during the Vietnam war, there were marches in the streets, protests, demonstrations, political action...how many people died in the Vietnam war? (58,226 over 9 years)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the evil of abortion. However, it is important to get the facts right. There have been about 48 million abortions in the U.S. since 1973. Still horrendous. Think about it--a billion is not credible. There are only 300 million people in the U.S.!

Rachel Pierson said...

There are all kinds of stats going around. I remember a year ago finding many and having to decide how to tell which was the most reliable. 53 million a year ago was what I settled on (I think the sources had something to do with my decision, and the math. One point three million per year is simply an average. It has been more, and slightly less over time. It will become harder and harder to use numbers because of the Plan B pill and others.

Thanks for putting things in perspective. It is a travesty. It is a loss of life, dignity, and respect for one another. It flies in the face of God, and we should tremble!

Leslie said...

Dear anonymous,

I apologize for being hasty and rather sloppy in coming up with my numbers. I do know, like everyone, that the Internet is not always a reliable source of information. I just temporarily forgot that and went with the numbers I found on one sight, without checking out others. I do think accuracy is important and so I am going to edit my post. I have no idea where my source came up with such numbers. I guess that it is difficult to estimate. Thanks for keeping me on track.