Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Back Home from Going Back Home for the Holidays

Well, we’re back in Colorado after celebrating Christmas in Illinois with the extended Taylor family. The first stop was at my parents’ farm near Galena, Illinois. There we enjoyed the company of my folks, my older brother with his wife and their six children, and my younger brother with his wife and their three-month-old boy. All told, with our five children, there were twelve grandchildren, three of whom were under six months of age.

Going to the farm is always a highlight for our family. My folks converted an old granary into a cozy cabin that they frequently open to hard-pressed pastors for a little getaway. I’d call it a little cabin, but with three large bedrooms, two full bathrooms (one of which has Jacuzzi which Leslie always takes advantage of), a large sitting/reading room, an even larger vaulted-ceiling family room (which includes a wood burning stove and large picture windows that look over the fields and forests of the back forty to create a perfectly relaxing environment), a loft that overlooks the family room, a kitchenette, and even a washer/dryer.

This year was especially fun as the Northwest corner of Illinois got hit with eight inches of snow and then a quarter inch of ice before we arrived. Mix that in with the long rolling hills that characterize the Galena area and you’ve got the perfect tobogganing setting. After one long day of sledding, we started a large bonfire near the run.

After Christmas, we traveled to Grandma Taylor’s Wheaton. We spent a couple of days celebrating with over sixty uncles, aunts, cousins, and great-grands. In 2007, Grandma Taylor enlarged he boundaries with the birth of nine great-grandchildren. I think at least six made it back for the festivities.

I also joined my father and brothers in driving Jon and all his belongings out to Albuquerque, NM in a twenty-six foot U-Haul truck. He’s taken a position as a pilot with New Mexico Airlines. On this drive Jon and I talked about church life and worldview of Presbyterians in general. He and his wife are members of a PCA church in Grand Rapids and have already gotten plugged in with the PCA in Albuquerque. As we spoke he seemed a little concerned with my focusing so much on family life and patriarchy issues on this blog.

He indicated that it is near impossible to express a proper tone on a blog and so he encouraged me to write a few posts on why I see patriarchy and family in general as such an important topic and why I think it is worth writing about. So, In the days to come, I’ll try to give a few short apologies for what I’m doing on this blog and why I find it so helpful.

More soon.

No comments: