Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let's Roll Says Naomi

video

Okay, so Naomi's been rolling over for some time now, but this is the first time I caught it on video. I realize it might be a bit tasteless to use the phrase "Let's Roll" on the sixth anniversary of 9/11, but I'm not going to allow the phrase to be hijacked by my conscience as taboo.

I remember driving down my parents 1/4 mile driveway near Galena, IL on my way to a job interview that morning when my dad passed by telling me to turn back to the house. My folks didn't and don't have a TV, so we listened to News Radio 780 out of Chicago as things unfolded that morning.

If there was ever a time for owning a TV, that was the morning. And yet, I also got the experience of earlier generations who received news from the front via the radio. I always find it fascinating when I see families gathering around the radio in a movie to get the news. So unlike our day where we take everything in visually. As I see it, I'm not missing anything for the lack of a TV. I'm not going to let a once in a lifetime event be my reason for getting a TV now.

Later that morning, we went over to some friends of my parents and watched the rest of the mornings events unfold. Looking back, I realize that we watched the same one minute of footage over and over and over and over for many hours in a row. The commentary was less than informing as no one really knew what was going on.

Does TV really add that much to our lives? Now with the internet, I find that the question of "You don't have a TV?" rarely has the same emphasis that it once had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris
We didn't have a TV either, except for one that Rebecca had rescued from the trash some months ago, that I thought did not really work. So that day I went to Target or Walmart or somewhere and bought a TV. But it did not work in our house without an antenna. Instead I moved the old fashioned TV to a point where it got reasonable reception, and we joined the rest of the world watching.

Love Carol
PS Go Naomi!