Monday, August 13, 2007

Why Do You Even Use Such Words?

A quick follow up to my post, “Where do you even get such words.” Reading an article on Karl Rove’s resignation tonight by Terrence Hunt, I came across this section:

Critics derisively called him "Bush's brain." During Bush's presidency, he has been one of Washington's most powerful and controversial figures.

The president appeared glum as he joined Rove for the announcement. "Karl Rove is moving on down the road," Bush said. "We've been friends for a long time, and we're still going to be friends. I would call Karl Rove a dear friend."

So Karis, we get such words from the news paper (or in my case, from the internet). However, further into the article, which seemed far from flattering, if not outright hateful, I came across this section:

White House officials readily acknowledged that Rove's departure was a blow. Known as a ruthless political warrior, Rove possessed a love of history, an encyclopedic command of political minutiae and a wonkish love of policy.

“Wonkish”? Where do you even get such words? Since the only meaning for “wonk” that I was familiar with was the apparently now dated, “effeminate male homosexual,” I was glad to see that it has much better connotations today, “expert in one’s field.” My first reading of this article was, “Wow, they really hate this man.”

No comments: