Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Christian Biography: My New Wish List


Justin Taylor pointed his readers to a list of biographies recommended by Al Mohler. I haven’t even heard of some of them before, but since I’ve read a few of them and find his recommendation on those to be accurate, I think I’ll try to pick the others up over the next few years.

The ones I’ve read already on this list are:
Roland H. Bainton, Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1950).

Arnold Dallimore, George Whitefield: The Life and Times of the Great Evangelist of the Eighteenth-Century Revival, 2 volumes (Carlisle, Pennsylvania: Banner of Truth Trust, 1970). I have the Crossway edition, but I think that one is out of print.
And parts of

David Daniell, William Tyndale: A Biography (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1994).
By the way, the Bainton biography of Luther and the Dallimore biography of Whitefield are an interesting pair. Bainton’s is short and sweet. Dallimore’s is long and heavy (two large volumes). Even so, they both get to the heart of the man they are presenting. Bainton flies over the terrain looking down while Dallimore walks through the fields uncovering each stone. I recommend both, but Dallimore’s biography still is at the top of my list for any that I’ve ever read.

I do hope to finish Daniell’s biography of Willam Tyndale, but with our move and remodeling, I’v’n’t had much time lately.

Above: Speaking of remodeling, big thanks to brother Preston in crafting this fine tread piece for our stairs. Also, thanks to dad for installing it.

3 comments:

Steve Burlew said...

Well, Christopher, indeed the Dallimore two-volume set is still in print and on our shelves here at the Banner; I'm glad you've kept it near the top of your list. I think Iain Murray's 2-volumes on Lloyd-Jones was the other of our books on Mohler's list - a good read, too. Let me know if you're interested.
Steve
www.trophiesofhisgrace.blogspot.com

Christopher said...

Steve,

Very interested!

Steve Burlew said...

Good to be in contact with you, brother. God bless ...
Steve