Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Teaching Sunday School Again!


I’ll be teaching our Sunday school class this coming Sunday. It’s just a one time deal, so I will not be working through any particular book of the Bible. I thought about working with a text in Mark, but Leslie encouraged me to “stick with the topic of the class.” We have been working through key issues in our relationships as husbands and wives this term. So, I think I’ll teach on Ephesians 5:15-33.

One thing I will point out before we get into the text is the reason we address the relationships between husbands and wives in a church setting. It is popular today to think that the gospel is, at best, indirectly related to our human relationships. We like to think that in the gospel we are presented with a broad moralistic standard by which our relationships are very loosely governed. This broad standard can be summed up with the phrase “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

All relationships then, whether between employers and employees, or buyers and sellers, or husbands and wives, will be evaluated by this general rule. However, the Golden Rule is not specific enough for most relationships, and so Jesus, Paul, and Peter get much more specific.

Tomorrow I hope to outline how the gospel of Jesus Christ relates directly to relationship between husbands and wives.

Above: "Little House on the Prairie?" Karis and Gloria building a castle

No comments: