Monday, December 11, 2006

Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin


I shaved my beard yesterday before church. As soon as I had done so I felt naked and ashamed, but it was too late to repent. After Sunday school a certain bearded elder informed me that I was now, “out of the club.” As if all this wasn’t enough, I came across this passage in my reading on Sunday afternoon, taken from Clement of Alexandria:

But let the chin have the hair. But let not twisted locks hang down from the head, gliding into womanish ringlets. For an ample beard suffices for men. And if one, too, shave a part of his beard, it must not be made entirely bare, for this is a disgraceful sight. The shaving of the chin to the skin is reprehensible, approaching to plucking out the hair and smoothing. …the hair on the chin is not to be disturbed, as it gives no trouble, and lends to the face dignity and paternal terror. [Stromata, ANF, Vol. 2, p. 286]

2 comments:

C Timm said...

Good timing...I was just debating whether I should nurture this weekend growth I left for Monday or "clean" it up tonight.

I will of course always leave the chin hair untouched (10+ years and counting).

chad

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Well said. I shaved in November and immediately recognized the error of my ways. I began to grow it out again from that moment on. Naked is the appropriate word. I also noticed there was more of me under my beard than the last time I shaved. I find the beard helps to cover up the extra chin that has grown as I approach 30

Nick