Thursday, November 02, 2006

2 Corinthians by Scott Hafemann

So why am I recommending a commentary on 2 Corinthians? Besides the fact that I owe Dr. Hafemann many thanks for teaching me Greek, I also have to thank him for writing the best commentary I’ve ever read. In fact, this is the only commentary I’ve ever read from cover to cover. I own several hundred commentaries and I often reference them, but I would never dream of reading any of them, even Calvin, from cover to cover like I did with this one.

This commentary sat on my shelf for over a year before I picked it up and began reading. When I purchased it I thought it would be a good reference tool like all the rest. However, one day while sitting under the teaching of Dr. Thomas Schreiner I mentioned a reading that I had encountered in Hafemann’s commentary to get Schreiner’s response. I was shocked when in response he mentioned that he had read “every word” of the commentary and that he had no substantial disagreement with it.

With this in mind I went back to the commentary and began reading it. It is not reading for everyone, but if you are going to teach or preach on 2 Corinthians, you are neglecting your flock by not referring to Hafemann.

Hafemann is a good Calvinistic Baptist, but as an interesting side note, it was in reading Hafemann’s interpretation of Jeremiah 31 that I became a paedobaptist.

1 comment:

Jeff Downs said...

Thanks for recommending this. I believe I seen this commentary the other day at a store for $10. Perhaps I'll go back and get it.