Friday, August 26, 2005

Starting Over

Well, I've been at my new position in a new state for over a month now. The book printing industry was very fun for me early on. One year of managing projects as a customer service rep. Color House Graphics was great company to begin a career in. A small company that packed a powerful punch. I certainly wouldn't have left there if it weren't for my in-laws asking me to leave to assist them in turning around their failing printing company.

That printing experience was not nearly so fun. It was mid-size company that acted more like a punching bag, taking hits every day. Managment had long since stopped trying to keep pace with the frantically growing industry. Our product was poor (though acceptable), our pricing was high, and our schedule was rarely met. Many within the company had worked there so long that they could image working any other way. Management had not instilled in them the desire to keep agile.

While at Color House I loved to go out into the press room and ask the guys about their jobs. How does perfecting unit work, how do you make adjustments to the folder. What is the capacity of the binder? Constant questions and many good answers. At Lithocolor it was different. I hated that press room. Everything was dirty (thirty years old dirty). Most everyone was skeptical of the new "salesman." This was not a team, fighting to stay in the game, but a group of people each trying to protect their own job. Information was limited. Not many smiled.

Lithocolor went out of business not long after I arrived. I've seen how two different companies have operated, one successful, one now bankrupt. I only hope that I can keep the principles I learned in mind as I move forward.

1 comment:

Brian Quinn said...

Hey Chris, thanks for coming in to the Wheaton blog for your thoughts. Feel free to snoop around as often as possible.
To be sure, I have looked at what has preceded. My question is geared more towards the language imposed on Abraham in 26:5 is clearly from the perspective of Deuteronomy (11:1). And to be sure, I think it is agreed (at least I am presupposing a common evangelical position) that Moses is writing the composition of the Penteteuch to the 2nd Generation within Deut.
Therefore, I think the it is more important to notice within the Abrahamic narrative that when Abraham is promised to be the fountainhead of blessing, he acts contrary in the completion of it coming about. Something to chew on first would be the pattern of Abraham and Isaac with Abimelech, both occuring after the promise. Not to mention the author depicts Abimelech as more righteous than Abraham and Issac. I think that if we really read the Abrahamic narrative, paying attention to the details of his actions, their is more low points than there is high. These are just some of the initial thoughts, really quickly. I haven't really come across anyone who thinks that the laws summed up in 26:5 are what is spoken of previously in Genesis, the vocabulary used is from a post Sinai perspective.